Under a brilliant summer sun, girls in swimsuits and handsome lifeguards pose on a golden sandy beach. This could be a scene from a Hollywood movie, but it is in fact our very own metro Beach.” A Haven for eastsiders seeking to escape the hot pavement and unairconditioned houses of metro Detroit, Metro Beach has invited generations of summer visitors to swim, walk the shoreline and feel the cool breath of the lake on their skin as seagulls lazily circle overhead.
Born in Mount Clemens in 1919, George Caram Steeh was the son of Caram and Dora (Lappin) Steeh. George’s immigrant parents played a major role in the shaping of his remarkable career. Their values regarding hard work and the importance of a good education greatly contributed to his success.
This Victorian Italianate style house sits right at the corner of Utica Road and Dodge Park and is one of only a few buildings in the county on the National Registry of Historical Places. Had it not been for the original owners of the house, William and Sarah Upton, Dodge Park may have never come to fruition.
Elizabeth “Lisette” Denison was born into slavery circa 1787 near the banks of the Huron River, now called the Clinton, in the area known today as Harrison Township. Her parents, Peter and Hannah, were owned by William Tucker, the first English-speaking landowner in Macomb County.
On Jan. 15, 1818, Gov. Lewis Cass issued a proclamation naming the third and largest county in the territory of Michigan after his good friend, Alexander Macomb. At that time, Macomb County included all of Genesee, Lapeer, Livingston, Macomb, Oakland and St. Clair counties, as well as parts of Sanilac, Shiawassee, Ingham and Tuscola counties.
By Rebecca Calappi
By the 1920s, Macomb County had outgrown its third courthouse, and in November of 1926, voters approved a 5-year, 1-mill tax for a new building. The old courthouse was torn down in November 1930 by local men whose names were drawn from the county’s poor list, and county offices were temporarily housed throughout the town.
If you have visited River Bends Park in Shelby Township, you have set foot upon land that has quite a history. It was used by the federal government as a defensive weapons launch facility in the ’50s, and prior to that, it was owned by Joe Louis, the famous boxer, who set up a restaurant and night club on the property. But well before Joe Louis purchased the property, it was owned by Peter and Sarah Lerrich, who settled there around 1835.
Detroit Memorial Park Cemetery is located on the south side of Thirteen Mile Road between Ryan and Mound roads in Warren. To the casual passer-by, it appears to be an inconspicuous place, as poignant and peaceful as any other burial site.