You’re likely familiar with Macomb Community College, but did you know that it is one of the nation’s leading community colleges, providing learning experiences to nearly 40,000 students annually?
There are a wealth of opportunities to find fresh produce in Macomb County ranging from community gardens and farmers markets to supermarkets and orchards. Another avenue to find locally grown food is roadside farm stands.
The point of origin for Macomb County’s mile roads is marked by a medallion which was embedded in a stone walkway in Campus Martius Park in Detroit in 1806. This created Detroit’s coordinate system. While Ford Road in Detroit marks the first mile road, 50 Mile, or Bowers Road, in Lapeer County marks the end of the mile roads.
A resolution to change the name of the historic William P. Rosso Highway came before the Chesterfield Township Board on Feb. 4, 2014. Two local businessmen were in favor of changing the name to Hall Road as they thought the current name might confuse visitors from out of state.
On April 4, 1881, Macomb County appropriated $10,000 for a new jail and sheriff’s residence to be constructed in Mount Clemens. The prior jail, built in 1852, was constructed out of stones from the Clinton and Kalamazoo Canal. Nicknamed “the Bastille,” it was located on Market Street directly across the street from today’s St. Mary’s Catholic School. State inspections reported it to be “low, damp, dark and unhealthy,” and replacement was essential.
Born and raised in Clinton Township, Vincent Ivor Mitchell was the son of Norman and Louisa (Applewhaite) Mitchell, both from British Guiana. Mitchell graduated from Mount Clemens High School in 1940 and trained at the Tuskegee Army Airfield where he graduated in 1944.
In 2018, the Anton Art Center awarded more than $44,000 in mini-grants to 19 organizations and individuals in Macomb and Oakland County. The grants, which are made possible through the Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs, support arts and culture programming and professional or organizational development. This funding is essential for small nonprofits, educational institutions and individuals working in the arts. It allows them to pursue opportunities that enrich our local communities, making them vibrant, desirable places to live, work and play.
After a 42-year career at the Macomb County Sheriff’s Office, Undersheriff Kent Lagerquist retired Jan. 16, 2016. He began his career in 1974 as a corrections officer and worked in several divisions until he was appointed undersheriff in 2000. He spent one of his final working days in a ride-along in his son’s patrol car.
Born in Mount Clemens on June 11, 1881, Alice Louise Tucker was the first woman elected to public office in Macomb County. She was the daughter of John and Agnes (Lacey) Tucker and a descendant of William Tucker, the first English-speaking landowner in Macomb County. William had settled his family on the banks of the Huron (now Clinton) River in 1784 and was the owner of the Denison family who served as slaves on the Tucker farm.
Along with his growing family, Sylvester Barbret made Macomb his home in 1921. He had a small farm west of Gratiot off 11 Mile in what became the City of Roseville.