Deneweth, Ronald A.
Ronald A. Deneweth was a founding member of Deneweth, Dugan & Parfitt, P.C., over 30 years ago. He concentrates his legal practice to construction, fidelity and surety, insurance disputes, and real estate/lending matters.
Mr. Deneweth has counseled owners, contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, lenders and sureties from the bid process to final closeout on all matters of controversy and claim avoidance on construction projects. He has extensive experience in the drafting and negotiation of the legal documents required for the acquisition and financing of real estate through the entire construction process to final claims resolution. For over 35 years, he has represented owners, contractors, investors, subcontractors, and sureties in disputes involving all aspects of the construction process. In particular, Ron has handled claims in arbitration, mediation, and civil litigation from relatively simple payment claims to much more complex claims for damages arising out of defects in performance, warranty, the suitability of plans and specifications, delays, and insurance disputes in the construction process. In recent years, Ron has assisted many contractors, investors, and owners involved in troubled projects to reach resolution with the projects' lenders through the loan modification, work out, or the debt acquisition process.
Ron has served as an arbitrator and/or mediator in over 280 insurance or construction-related disputes, both as a member of the American Arbitration Association's approved panel of arbitrators and mediators and in connection with many private arbitrations and mediations.
Ron prides himself in seeking the most cost-effective resolution to complex disputes for his clients and those who engage him as a mediator or arbitrator.
Mr. Deneweth earned his J.D., cum laude, from Michigan State University College of Law (formerly Detroit College of Law) in 1977, where he currently acts as the Adjunct Professor of Construction Law. He received his Bachelor of Science, cum laude, in Economics from John Carroll University in 1974. Over the years, Ron has been honored to have been designated as a Michigan Super Lawyer not only in construction/surety but also as one of Michigan's Top 100 Lawyers in All Practice Areas. He has also been honored as a Top Construction Lawyer by Crain's Detroit Business and dbusiness and has been included in the Best Lawyers in America.
In 2000, Ron was awarded a John Carroll University Alumni Award Medal.
In April of 2010, after several years of heading the Building and Grounds Committee, Ron became Chairman of the Board of Directors of the YMacomb Community Action of Metropolitan Detroit. He is most proud of the YMCA's new Charter School initiatives, the YMacomb Community Action Detroit Leadership Academy, and the YMacomb Community Action Detroit Innovation Academy.
Areas of Practice
- Insurance Disputes Involving Construction
- Real Estate
Certified Legal Specialties
- Construction Disputes Arbitrator, American Arbitration Association
- Michigan, 1977
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 1977
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 1981
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1986
- Michigan State University College of Law, East Lansing, Michigan
- J.D. cum laude - 1977
- John Carroll University, University Heights, Ohio
- B.S. cum laude - 1974
- Major: Economics
- Co-Author, Michigan Construction Law
- Michigan Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 1989
- Advanced Construction Law in Michigan-National Business Institute, 1999
- Construction, Surety, and Bond Lien Law-Lorman Education Services, 2008
- Business Lawyers Be Wary of the Michigan Builders Trust Fund Act, Vol. 79, Michigan Bar Journal, November, 1999
- Michigan Bar Journal, November, 2000
- Adjunct Professor, Construction Law, Michigan State University College of Law
- Lecturer, National Business Institute
- Lecturer, Lorman Education Systems
- Lecturer, Construction and Financial Management Association
- Michigan Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants
Honors and Awards
- John Carroll University Distinguished Volunteer Alumni, 2000
- Michigan Super Lawyers, Construction/Surety
- Michigan Super Lawyers-Top 100 in All Practice Areas
- Crain’s Detroit Business–Top Construction Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America
- DBusiness Top Lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Michigan, Torts and Insurance Practice, Member
- Oakland County Bar Association, Member
- Macomb County Bar Association, Member
- Macomb County Bar Foundation, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- YMacomb Community Action Detroit Leadership Academy
- YMacomb Community Action Detroit Innovation Academy
- Chairman, Board of Directors of the YMacomb Community Action of Metropolitan Detroit
- Delta Theta Phi
Click here to view Macomb County Circuit Court ADR application